View Single Post
Old 22 Nov 2016, 14:56 (Ref:3690227)   #71
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
If we knew the terms then this may illustrate my point, obviously all drivers start out paying but in the hope that as time goes by their ability shows and the paying hopefully becomes secondary to ability. This may be the case with Perez but I fear that many teams in F1 and other top series take the view that drivers will always pay and the more they are seen to be able to do so, the more they will be expected to do so.

I agree that just because a driver pays his way does not mean he has no ability, I just think we may lose some of the best because teams have lost the will to vigorously seek team sponsors.
i think the best way to view it is that someone, somewhere has to pay for someone to race. it's just a matter of exactly who that someone is, and how committed they are to a drivers talent and ability to deliver.

it can be a dad (see: stroll, palmer), it can be a team (see: vandoorne), it can be a manufacturer (see: ocon, wehrlein). if a f1 team is 100% committed to a driver they will ensure they create the opportunity for him, whoever they have to throw under the bus on the way. if sauber came across a heroic, biblical talent you bet they'd find a way of putting him in a f1 car (and a watertight contract ) somehow.

anyone can open a door and be presented with an opportunity. some drivers are offered the same opportunity for a smaller contribution than others. the guys who can afford it will be offered a higher price. it's as simple as that. often the guy who can afford it will be indirectly subsidising someone who can't.