View Single Post
Old 16 Jul 2011, 20:16 (Ref:2927495)   #25
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke g28 View Post
I cant imagine its hard to make a quick release canopy. Hell if a jet fighter can do it at 700 knots (mph?) im sure with the seemingly unlimited resources of F1 they can come up with something.
Making a quick release canopy isn't the problem.....of course the teams can do it....but there are other issues, as being raised here.

I'm sure the FIA would want a universal quick release method so that rescue personnel do not need to learn the intricacies of each teams system....

A fighter pilot will (generally) be right way up, with a clear path ahead to eject into, not upside down wedged against a barrier...

Only a handful of aircrew have ejected at speeds of 700kts or higher - usually ejection takes place at much lower speeds when the crew have determined that the aircraft is unlikely to be recoverable from it's abnormal or unplanned flight path/trim, and impact with the ground or other object is inevitable...