View Single Post
Old 27 May 2009, 20:12 (Ref:2470478)   #45
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Murray View Post
But so far as entries are concerned it doesnt matter whether the rules are enforced. If you have the HTP your eligible for the races that cater for FIA cars, ie Masters and U2TC irrespective of whether your car is to the letter of the law. An HSRC car will never be eligible for FIA papers so they're stuck with HSCC.

If the race at Snett this weekend was for FIA cars and was an hour long there would be more entries as the pool of available cars is much greater.
I'm doing the 3 Hour and had entered the Cortina but decided to pull the entry for the saloons race. Firstly, I was away last weekend at Brands and the family in Moscow will appreciate me flying home on Sunday instead of Monday.

But I am not as willing to run the Cortina with the HRSR cars having spent all I did this winter on a full rebuild. Proper steel front wings are now rarer than hen's teeth as are many other parts. Many of the things in the HRSR regs are designed to reduce cost by allowing freer use of non-App K parts but that means (maybe??) that the drivers have less to risk in damaging a car? Perhaps as it is a championship people are more likely to risk a move than take the gentlemanly approach? Certainly some of the higher profile incidents have dampened the enthusiasm of running a car that has cost so much to prepare.

Also, while App K is not perfect as we all accept, there is some sort of level playing field. And 2 cars of a same engine capacity tend to have a good race together and with others in their class.

To my mind, 2 identical looking Lotus Cortinas racing on track one with 1558cc and to App K and the other 2 litre with 4 wheel discs etc and Mustang beating performance with only a small K on the door of the FIA car to differentiate is not how I see historic motor sport in an ideal world, again my opinion only.

Finally for me, I need to travel a long way to race and so prefer longer races and meetings where I can run a couple of cars over several days.