Thread: WEC Race 6 Hours of Mexico
View Single Post
Old 4 Sep 2017, 18:43 (Ref:3764509)   #125
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Toby Moody wasn't commentating, it was Martin Haven and Graham Goodwin.

I don't like Mexico as a circuit, and for single seaters it's pretty awful. But I do enjoy how multi-class racing works on it, as it forces the LMP drivers to plan passes. Even the LMP1s weren't able to just blow by at some points. That said, the final sector in the stadium is still awful.

I went into the race feeling a bit down about things with the mess of the announcement. The P1 race was pretty dull. Qualifying was deceptively close, and it isn't looking great for P1 for the rest of the season.

P2 was fantastic. I did miss the Tockwith Ligier (because it's not an Oreca), but we were never sure who was going to win that. Great result for Manor and good runs throughout most of the field too. Some great wheel to wheel battles.

GTE was great as well. Aston versus Ferrari, with no performance difference between them. That really was a brilliant battle, ruined by the Ferrari FCY penalty. And some good old bumping and bashing with Ford and Ferrari.

Didn't expect to enjoy the race as much as I did. P1 was awful, but P2 and GTE were great fun. Hope this track fits into the February slot, and then Silverstone in September.
Cool, thanks for that. Now I won't get them confused

I don't think Mexico is the right place to gauge performance on the lmp1 battle. Toyota were not close last year either, but then were a lot better at COTA and won Fuji. None of the remaining tracks require the same level of downforce as Mexico and say, Nurburgring. I can't get behind P2 that much. They're all the same car with different colors. I hope next year there's the other two chassis running. With Ligier using it's joker for 2018, maybe teams will switch or enter with it if the performance is at Oreca's level. GTE is fun, but it's hard to follow unless you're watching the whole race. I did enjoy Aston vs Ferrari at the end!