View Single Post
Old 1 Dec 2006, 14:21 (Ref:1779521)   #56
pootles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Berkshire
pootles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try the Airfield track day route if you are new to all this stuff!

You don't get to hear too much about the airfield circuits options. I, having done one or two recently, can see why.

They offer the driver a variety of challenges but can be a tad bleek dependant on the conditions on the day.

I went to Abingdon in Oxfordshire earlier this month. Given that it was November and I nearly came home with a tan it was a great day. However the next time I went it monsoooooned! all day and the rain very nearly closed the circuit completely. The weather, given that this is good old blighty, should be a consideration. Especially if you drive without a roof.

The issue here is that although the airfield circuits offer a reesonable standard of tarmac in various configurations for the newby, the on site facilities can be, lets say, a little wanting.

At Abingdon, for example, you are using part of current MOD base. There is a chemicle toilet (x1) and a roach coach (Burger van) other than that there isn't much else to do other than drive.

So if you fancy doing one of these days, and the low price reflects what's on offer (£99 for the day at Abingdon), bare this in mind.

Go prepared for all weather climates and you wont go far wrong.

The circuit itself offers plenty. medium straights, fast bends, tight chicanes, change in grip surface, reasonalbe surface quality all the way round and a 1.5mile lap.

I went along with motorsport events. A very professional track day company that offer all the usual stuff. A good briefing in the morning before allowing man/woman and machine lose on the track. This includes the consented overtake rule. A must for track dayers especially if you want your machine to go home in the same shape it arrives in!

They marshall the circuit and include a trip back into the pits if you happen to spin. I thought this a bit of a pain at first. However it does give you a mo' to check the car over and contemplate where you went wrong. There's loads of run off, grass and tarmac for those who want to find the very edgew of the envelope! and fortunately not a lot at all for you to collide with should you get it wrong!

I would say that it takes a few lapes to get used to the cone layout for chicanes. You end up a little cone overloaded for a while. Bu once you have mastered the layout (5-10 laps usually) you can give it a good go.

Motorsprt events offer instruction too. They do charge but not extorsionately. So if you feel you need to better yourself there is help at hand.

All in all the airfield day isn't as god as a fully fledged circuit with all the mod cons. However for the first timer who wants to put a toe in the water, or should I say rubber the tarmac! it's not a bad place to start.

Take heed and remember the brolli!

Pootles. Team Fire Monkey