View Single Post
Old 16 Nov 2006, 12:07 (Ref:1767655)   #34
Nick49
Racer

England
Hampshire, UK
Nick49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello

You know this is one of those threads that I've been meaning to post on but have never got round to until today. Anyway I'm Nick and I'm getting on for 51 at the end of this year.

Motor racing for me started in the early 60's at the time of the 1500 cc F1 era although quite when I can't remember but I can remember going to the Racing car Shows at Olympia (I think) to see all the racing cars. I can vividly remember the "Return to Power" show in 1965 introducing the 3 litre F1 formula. I was a big Lotus fan and Jim Clark was my first sporting hero. To a certain extent when Lotus dropped out of Formula One so did I but, I also think F1 is not as good as it was. Old age perhaps!

I have always followed sports car racing (and just about anything else to be honest) and that is my main interest nowadays. I used to go to Le Mans every year but then I got married in 1987 and I've never been back since. Grounds for divorce?

I 've travelled all over UK and Europe to watch races whether they be F1, Sportscars, F2 (great series), F3, ETC and so on. I have to say that the European F2 and the Group C sports cars were my favourites. Great cars and great circuits.

Back in the 60's us brothers got an Airfix slot racing set for Christmas and amazingly I still have it! In the mid 70's I gave it up as much as anything because I served in the British Army for 22 years. In recent years I've got back into slot cars and now race at a club in Hampshire and enjoy it more than ever. I also have a large collection of white metal, resin or diecast 1/43 scale models of mostly sports cars but also F1. I have to admit that I haven't made up a kit for a couple of years having discovered Spark Models but I have a very nice "Queens" Mercedes W196 and "Tameo" Samson Shag Shadow waiting to be built.

I have several motor racing DVD's including "In Car 956" and Steve McQueen's "Le Mans" and I'm quite looking forward to "GrandPrix". Christmas Prezzie??

Well I'm 50 and I've been to the Monaco GP and Le Mans but I'm still desperate to get to the Indy 500 and would like to get to see Bathurst. Another 50 years to do it in. Better stop now.

Nick