Thread: Joest LMP1 2017
View Single Post
Old 17 Nov 2016, 00:32 (Ref:3688742)   #31
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
I thought the cockpit (not the entire chassis) could be reused beyond 2018 if it meets the safety regulations (as the ByKolles did until now).
Technically yes, practically no unless they wanted to make a car as overweight and slow as the CLM.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/c...-new-lmp2-car/
Quote:
“The BR01 is the first real new LMP2 car,” Catone said. “From the beginning, the project was focused on LMP2. Today we’re at 900 kg. We can’t go to LMP1-L with the same car as that should be 800 kg.

“We could redo the monocoque with zylon to save 20 or 30 kg but this is an investment in itself. I asked the customer at the beginning of the project. If we had to do both, it would be very expensive and not necessarily optimized for the other.

“If you go to LMP1, it would be with another project that would be from scratch using the knowledge that we know.”
Note that the new LMP1 car is the BR1, not the BR01.

I think Joest has access to considerably more technical resources than Rebellion when it comes to modifying a car for a new engine installation and politically there's motivation to allow them to race the RP7. But it's probably more realistic to think that if they just need to keep busy they turn up at Sebring than Le Mans. I can't see them running WEC LMP2 but as an overall win competing pro class it would work, although probably not full time without a manufacturer involved.