Thread: The Final list
View Single Post
Old 28 Mar 2005, 10:17 (Ref:1263389)   #178
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Good point Ruppert ; I was talking of the "poster", the "show", the "headline", not about the race in itself... if 2000, 2001 and 2003 was, say, as expected, 2002 was interresting (Oreca Dallaras and those beautiful MGs I still miss, as they were really too "young" in 2001 - and this monsoon ) and 2004 a real cracker due to the private Audis battle and the fact that Pesca almost made it for the podium. I expect a lot for 2005, but it's still not a special "headline", it remains a race for fans...

On the good side : we can't have "historical" races each year. Say one each 10 years make thems really exceptionnal, and 1966/1971/1978/1988/1999 (there's a lot more, but at least those ones for me) displayed really something special for the history of sporstcars. I'm mentionning prototypes here (or so) ; some of us would certainly keep Spa for the GT special event (I agree with that). Even if there's something more that LM/ALMS/LMES brings to me : four races in one. And the GT poster will be unmissable in 2005 (maybe even more in 2006, with the probable Mazza entry).

OT but helps to explain : I like the stickers on wine bottles, and I often "drink the sticker" as a lot of amateurs (means : the fame of the wine is part of the pleasure) ; but I had lots of pleasure as a taster with unknown wines, especially if the modd is here (friends, place, meal...). Same for sportscars races : I feel pleasure to be "a part of it", but there's an obvious pleasure to be in for the "historical event" : "I was there" is a special feeling when you're back home, and 30 years later you're still mentionning it. I.e. : for french public : the Renault victory in 1978 ; for those who where there in July for the Classic race, when the Renault took over the Porsche on the starting straight, I heard the french public like never before still Rondeau or Renault's trophee... they remembered their old feeling : victory ! And that is due to the "sticker"/poster/headline : they were there 30 years ago

Last edited by Fab; 28 Mar 2005 at 10:26.