View Single Post
Old 15 Sep 2017, 22:37 (Ref:3767241)   #294
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Of course the drivers say they're too slow in the corners - they don't want to be held up. When the classes are closer in speed, the drivers complain they're too close - see LMP3/GTE/GT3 in ELMS/LM Cup.

I see that as part of dealing with multi-class racing. If the classes get equalised too much, then I don't see the point in different classes. GT cars are slow in the corners, but that's generally how it's always been. As long as it isn't dangerous (and we're having far less accidents now with the more powerful LMP1 and LMP2 cars), I don't see the problem with it. Traffic management is part of the skillset required. If you have to wait behind a car for a corner, you have to wait behind. It's also why I enjoyed Mexico more than I expected - because the track forced the P1 drivers to be smart about where they could pass in the esses. Track itself seems quite bleh, but it produced great traffic situations round the back of the circuit.

I personally don't have a problem with the current setup. Given the rising prices of GTE cars, I'd rather not see even faster cars introduced.
They're already ballasted. Taking away some of that is all that's needed. That's not going to be a big expense. Yes, drivers are going to complain regardless. The fact is that the GT's are slow through turns in comparison and they feel that's dangerous. I think that they ruin the flow of the battles in lmp more than add to the race. That's on top of blocking because it's harder to move their car to another line. There's already talk of speeding up the cars. My take on it is they should drop the weight instead of giving more power. It'll make them more efficient as well, which is a big deal to all these manufacturers.