View Single Post
Old 24 Jan 2018, 13:16 (Ref:3794735)   #10
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
I remember being present at the first Le Mans Classic, back in 2002 which was then run in late august or early september.
I'll never forget we were standing at Arnage corner, somewhere deep into the night, waiting for the top class group which sported the then Bobby Rahal's Porsche 917K 'hippie car'. There were 7 of us, including two gendarmes. One couple stood huddled together under a blanked they brought and we were cold to the bone! Luckely I'd brought a bottle of Jameson antifreeze which was passed around to keep us few slightly less cold, including the two gendarmes!

The cold wait was very worth it though. To see a 917 and a 512 floor it out of Arnage in the night, was a spectacle that hadn't been seen in Le Mans for 30 years and was my first time seeing a 917 in anger and at racing speed. I was blown away by the fact this car easily matched the ferocious acceleration of the modern sportscars