Thread: IMSA DPi Discussion
View Single Post
Old 22 Aug 2017, 01:25 (Ref:3760843)   #3018
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Well, I've been watching old ALMS races before the color coded numbers/number plates/leader lights system. Most of the numbers on most of the cars weren't really stylized (seemed to be more of a team thing than a class thing). They were usually simple fonts and were usually black or very dark blue.

Trivia time: And it should be noted that the original IMSA color codes for numbers/leader lights was backgrounds of white (LMP900), orange (LMP675), yellow (GTS/GT1) and green (GT/GT2). Of course, that changed to numbers instead of backgrounds, with colors of red (LMP900/LMP1), blue (LMP675/LMP2), green (GTS/GT1) and orange (GT/GT2).

This of course corresponds to LMP1, LMP2, GTE-Pro and GTE-Am under current ACO regs, and DPI/LMP2, LMPC, GTLM and GTD under current IMSA rules.

And as LMP1 won't likely feature in IMSA's plans (not unless they want to speed DPIs up to LMP1 privateer levels), I don't see the problem. LMPC won't be a class next year, so that's less confusion (and let's face it, LMPC was a dying class anyways in IMSA for the Weathertech races).

The only issue I have with the current IMSA leader lights system is that it more often than not shows overall position. Unless a class other than DPI/LMP2 is racing for the overall podium or lead, I'd rather see the class position.