Thread: Code 60 for UK
View Single Post
Old 16 Dec 2015, 16:59 (Ref:3598176)   #11
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Never seen a "real" code 60, but seen a FCY during BlancPain I think it was (or possibly WEC - not sure). Essentially the pit limiters (or similar) are used to control the speed of the car. Everything dropped to pit limit speed in an instant (more or less). Seemed to work very well, and I would have no issues at going track side whilst this was happening.

However, for MSA Club racing, I think it isn't quite so simple. There are no electronics to limit speed. A lot of club cars, Sports and Single Seaters mainly, do not even have speedometers, so how is an individual driver going to know his exact speed? Further, even a lot of saloon/hatches have poor speedos (ours is all over the show) or have them disconnected. Before you ask how about pit speed then, well the tendency (mostly) in short club racing is to enter the pits at a speed you know to be well below pit speed, and often you only enter in a train of cars anyway at the end.

So I see that this is going to be difficult to both police, and for drivers to adhere to accurately.

To my mind the most dangerous bit about a SC is stuff pitting under SC then sprinting around the track to catch up with the SC train again. For me one of the answers would be to have a pit lane closer (unless an emergency such as fuel or mech failure) and if something comes in, hold it until end of SC period - harsh but there you are.

So though I see the plus sides of a Code 60, enforcement, policing and accuracy may be an issue?