View Single Post
Old 2 Feb 2010, 01:17 (Ref:2624121)   #11
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Further to the comments above, having now had time to do my additions to Tathrim's circuit.

I feel that the designers in an attempt to make Sketch-up a bit more user friendly have gone too far.
Instead of being an excellent little design tool that required a bit of patience (OK a lot to begin with), in order to master it. Have come up with something that on the face of it looks the same but is in my opinion is a lot less distinct.

For example the now measuring distances to a 3rd decimal place appears to be much more accurate, yet it doesn't give the feel of accuracy. As I said previously it feels rather fuzzy and inaccurate.

Another area that I feel causes more problems than it solves is the auto joining of any crossing lines. In a complex design which most tracks are, where we use different colours and textures to convey different materials, these self joining lines cause layering issues. I personally do nearly all of the design from the vertical camera view, which is fine, but when texturing in now, if I've missed cleaning up an overlap line of a line that has joined that I didn't notice (from when using the off-set tool) as soon as I tilt the design the colours and textures go crazy between the layers.
With Version 6 any new lines were heavier and had to be made to join. With that, any missed lines were still in the heavier set and easy to identify and resolve the issues.

Anyone else any comments to make on either the change from Version 6 to 7 or any help required on something specific on a design?