View Single Post
Old 19 May 2009, 19:45 (Ref:2465322)   #14
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
OK.
If I remember correctly, the MG Metro Turbo Challenge (c 1987?) grew out of the MG Metro challenge for 1300cc non turbo MG Metro's. This too was the new Champoinship to replace the 1275GT Championship c 197-?) which was the 'top' class of the Leyland sponsored Mini Challenge which included the original Mini Se7en's (850cc) and Miglia's (1000cc).
The cars could be built up from new bodyshells (as could either of the Mini clases), but were often built out of road cars as this would be cheaper, to a very tight set of rules originated by the Mini Se7en Racing Club, with series scrutineer Mike Garton.
When the MG Metro championship was upgraded to the MG Metro Turbo championship ARG Motorsport (as they were called that week) released a kit of part to upgrade the normally aspirated MG Metro to Metro Turbo Challenge specification. And again, if I remember correctly, this upgrade was basically engine, all other parts remained as before.
I am also sure that, as well as building, maintaining and running the Computervision backed Group A Metro Turbo cars, Roger Dowson Engineering also ran the celebrity car in the MG Metro Turbo Challenge too. (They also continued this association with MG Rover Sport by running the celebrity Rover in subsequent championships).
[ I do think I'm right in this (but may be wrong!) as the picture in my avatar is my 1982 /83 Mini Se7en, plus I spent a great deal of time in upgrading a MG Metro Challenge car to Turbo specification for the 1987 season! (However, time & the mind do play interesting tricks as you get older...]