Old 27 Dec 2011, 00:00 (Ref:3004400)   #14
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paceracing View Post
I totally understand the desire to keep the cars' originality but several important points to remember with these old System 3's, 4's, etc is that (i) These systems are regarded as a very complex data aquisition system for professional teams and are not simple to use (ii) Back in the day, the data logger was run by a dedicated data engineer who's only job was to run the logger and analyse the data (iii) As technology moves on, so does the hardware/software. Modern systems are simpler to use and offer more features (iv) You will need a PC running Windows 98 to operate a System 3 or 4. (v) As someone has very correctly pointed out, the Pi Omega Dash from Cosworth Electronics, (formerly Pi Research) looks almost identical, has more useful features, is simple to use and is aimed at occaisional users rather than big budget race teams.

I would recommend that you forget trying to revive this old system and cut your losses by getting an Omega dash which is the 'grandson' of these old systems and produced by the same company.
I'm not about to cut it off now and get something else... I've already sourced the LCU which is needed by dash to work as well as all bits and pieces needed to communicate with a PC... i already have a notebook running win98 as i needed it any way to communicate with the ECU in the car...

There are plenty guys (also on 10/10ths) who own super tourers running the same gear and have no dramas??? yeah sure if i wanted to log everything under the sun etc then yeah you'd want someone who knows the system well.. but at this point in time I'm happy if it just acts as a dash display while i iron out all the bugs with the car