View Single Post
Old 3 Oct 2017, 20:05 (Ref:3771583)   #47
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
What kind of a crowd are they hoping to get to a night race in the middle of winter in Blacktown? Great idea, but run it in the warmer months

I love the race format.... but it's hardly "Twenty/20 style" which they have been talking about, this is a much more traditional sort of race format!
Hearing you but then SMP has never drawn a crowd for supercars in the way that Oran Park did for example - I'm guess they figure that it's worth doing something radical to see if they can turn that around.

Benefit of winter of course is that it's fully dark earlier, making the race more of a true "under lights" experience if started earlier. Bit chillsome there in winter though - maybe they'll install crowd heaters into the grandstand?

I like the format too but it means that fans need to stay to the end for a result, whereas a different format might let those with kids for example head off earlier after seeing some racing as the kids get cold/tired. The detail of it will all matter of course but I could imagine a (say) 5:00 PM start (or a bit earlier) having the racing all done by 7:00 or something like that. Then do some music or drifting or other entertainment after that to make it a night out.