View Single Post
Old 4 Sep 2017, 17:28 (Ref:3764494)   #34
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Richard, wouldn't your first point be rather unfair on those teams that have PUs that are far more reliable. I would suggest that Mercedes and Ferrari have invested huge sums to produce more durable elements, and they and the teams that they supply benefit from that.

To change the rules to allow more components is, in reality, a retrospective punishment for spending money on their PUs. And especially in the case of Mercedes for having damn good engineers in their road vehicle divisions who brought their talents to bear on the project years ahead of all the other engine providers.
Is it unfair? Yes. But the situation is what it is and everyone says the status quo is unacceptable. If you adjust rules, there will be winners and losers.

Regardless, I think my third component is the foundation. The first two can be negotiated to acceptable levels, or just not implemented if adjustments are deemed untenable by someone like a Mercedes.

Richard