View Single Post
Old 19 Dec 2015, 17:47 (Ref:3598804)   #1
rubaru
Rookie

United States
rubaru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track Design Game

Hi everyone, I have a proposal for a new game I've thought of (OK so I stole it from another forum, thank you FerrariMan96) - a Track Designing Competition.

I've seen these on other forums before...they all eventually died out, but I wanted to get one started again. So this is how it'll work:
  1. A person sets the rules/criteria for their competition. It can be pretty much anything they want, but it has to be set in the real world. Example rules are listed below. A deadline (of a week or so) should also be set.
  2. Competitors then design tracks using GMap-Pedometer or anything else they can post easily to the forum for all to see. Depending on the rules of the competition, more than 1 map may have to be submitted (e.g. if a pit lane also needs to be shown).
  3. The person who set the competition chooses the winner.
  4. The winner then sets their own competition, and will choose the next winner, who will set the next competition and so on.
Example rules/criteria/parameters people can set for their competitions:

• Location (e.g. "In Australia", "Closest point less than 50km from the centre of Rome" or whatever)
  • Track length (e.g. 4-6km, 3-4km, 10-15km or whatever you like)
  • Track type (e.g. Street circuit, Purpose-built circuit, "hybrid" circuit like Adelaide - part purpose built, part street circuit) - Note that even for full street circuits, a little bit of 'new' road should be allowed as it's sometimes necessary
  • What type of racing the track is intended for (F1, WEC, TT, etc)
  • If buildings can be destroyed or not
  • If road width (or "possible road width, if road was widened) and elevation should be accounted for or not (using Google Street View is helpful here)
  • If run off should be accounted for
  • If a pit lane needs to be designed, and what minimum length it should be (e.g. 150m, 250m...)
It isn't necessary to specify all these parameters, and others can be used too; these are just some examples.

If folks are interested, I'll check back in a day or two to set up the first challenge!