Thread: Ff1600
View Single Post
Old 19 May 2003, 11:54 (Ref:603418)   #59
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do think people are missing the point about "kents". I raced in 90-92 in FF1600 - in the 92 meeting at Mallory the slowest time was a high 48! You were on the resereve list if you were in the 49s. I appreciate the top boys were running very strong engines, but even my leased scholar (£1/mile) was good enough for mid grid. I just think the level of competition means that you will never see those times again. give you another idea - pole at Cadwell was a 1.32 (warren hughes) - I qualified (my first ever race) in the 34s and was pretty much last. i am sure a 34 would walk the race nowadays. If you put this year's FF Zetec runners into kent cars those times would come down again.

Also, the zetec conversion busines. firstly, when I came back racing last year I looked at kents - they are way too expensive. You can buy a good 2000 car (ie Steve Magill's is the ex-franchitti chassis) for nothing and convert it for a bit more than JR says (you need to change sump/enginve cover/wheels/pipes/looms/exhaust etc etc). But why? Run in Zetecs - they have proper tyres (you can buy good 10 lap old ex-national slicks for about £30 a tyre), engines are long life (same rebuld costs) good grids in the SFFC and getting better in NFFC and you can buy all the spares from the big teams for buttons. The accident costs are the same as an FF - the only rip off is the nosecones which are £600 each. I think you must be mad to enter FF1600 because you think its cheaper!

BTW I run in SFFC