View Single Post
Old 12 Aug 2015, 08:12 (Ref:3565516)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Lifted from the latest Scrutineers' Bulletin. A quick reminder that HANS devices, tethers and posts are not multi-compatible and you need to check that your current device fits your latest helmet!

I suppose caveat emptor when buying second hand. There could soon be a flood of "cheap" HANS devices as helmets are renewed with "new" standard posts and fittings that don't match up with the existing standard. FHRs aren't lifed, but beware of the standard shown.

"Helmet and Frontal Head Restraint compatibility
The FIA set out in their Appendix L, III-3.3 the compatibility and permitted use of items approved to the FIA 8858-2002, 8858-201, 8860-2004 and 8860-2010 standards, and have provided the following handy reference to go along with this."

I've reproduced the diagram on www.racewear.co.uk/blogging.
I'm not sure I'd buy a second hand HANS device! It's the same with helmets, belts and seats - unless it's from someone you know and trust you don't have any clue as to the history of it (which makes the whole '5 year life' thing a joke as well - but that's another debate). If it's a safety critical as we're being lead to believe (again - another debate) then a second hand one isn't worth the risk.

I need a new helmet and a HANS for next year - not sure which make of either to go for at the moment. Choice of helmet is limited by the need for an intercom (current amplifier is Peltor - so if we go with another system that'll need changing too ). I guess HANS are compatible with any helmet make (assuming they have the right posts attached)? Fortunately our belts - 2 years (4 events) into their 5 year life are HANS compatible.