Thread: HSCC DONINGTON
View Single Post
Old 10 Apr 2017, 10:26 (Ref:3725266)   #19
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was in the combined DBT / CF3 race in a F3 car.

I did not pass anybody under the SC car (God forbid !), but, yes I got passed by the leading DBT cars, which surprised my but did seem to make some sort of sense.

I think the confusion partly stemmed from the fact that the DBT cars were gridded before the F3 cars irrespective of quali time and also started before us.
you could take this as two races run at the same time, only 100 metres apart.
However some F3 cars were quicker than DBT cars (even I finished in front of a DBT car)

Starting procedure was covered in the drivers briefing. but I dont think is was really clear to all what should happen behind the safety car. Some DBT drivers must have assumed that they were supposed to get in front of the F3 cars again on the restart.

So either we go back to the old format in the combined races, grid by qualy time alone irrespective of which race you are in
or what is supposed to happen behind the safety car needs to be clearly spelled out.
My preference would be for the leader to get behind the safety car without resorting them into races because how are we supposed to know who goes where ?

Also my feeling was that the safety car was quite slow.
(i dont mean near the stranded car where the work was done, of course)
I followed the safety car in 2nd gear most of the time and struggled to keep the tires warm.

RuE