View Single Post
Old 18 Jul 2005, 20:46 (Ref:1358059)   #8
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched it as a kid, when Lotus ruled the roost with those lovely black JPS cars.

I enjoyed it in the turbo years when the Murray and James show was great viewing for the tension and the comedy... "yes Murray, that's another blown turbo for Senna" (on the third lap - and then goes on to win!!).

In late 1990, I very very very nearly joined EJR to work as a race team sparky, but had my eyes set on F1, and turned down the late Bosco Quinn for the job (I now consider myself as much use as a ........(insert insult here).......)

The highs of new teams like Simtek coming in with a great little package. The lows of the death of Ratzenburger and of course, Ayrton on that dark day in 1994.

I never made it into the job until 1999, by which time things had turned politics mad.

I didn't like all of the politics and back stabbing. Regardless of how good you were at your job, there could always be some git waiting to undermine you. Glad I'm out of it now. Plus I have a family to think of. It's not a family man's game in my opinion.

The sport, I still love, the politics, I hate.

And it's the politics that are now no longer under the surface, and they're tearing it apart.

They should learn from the old CART/PPG Indycar series. Politics ripped it apart, Tony George took away the ball and created the IRL, and that devastated major league single seater racing in the US. People say that NASCAR benefited, I don't think it made any difference. Single Seater racing is a "Yankee" thing. Stock Cars are a "Confederate" thing. Never the twain shall meet.

We live in difficult times.

I don't want to see F1 on a life support machine, but it needs treatment. It needs an operation to survive, and I don't think that Max is the surgeon that can do the job, neither do I think that the manufacturers should have their way 100% either.