View Single Post
Old 14 Dec 2011, 12:51 (Ref:2999652)   #74
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The issue really has to be what are the ERC going to do to try and keep their drivers.

If it ends up being some kind of war between the two money and exposure will always win.

Someone like Holte is a young driver who has come up from Supernational, is obviously well backed and was capable of winning ERC rounds in a privately run team. Was the team paying him? Are the team in the US going to pay him?

It is all new and great, and maybe it will eventually become a big series, but what we don't need is the situation where the ERC becomes the poor relation.

INteresting the comparison with Indycar, which basically was the poor relation of ChampCar until Craig decided to get physical with CART and took over the Champcar series and pushed it into the ground by using his power and the INDY 500 as a huge draw. Now, what was his series is the only one in the US and runs on all tracks where it did not before?

I hope this sort of thing doesn't happen as I doubt rallycross will ever be that big in the US, compared to countrie like France, Sweden and Norway where it is established and big and countries like Russia, Germany, Eastern Europe where it is growing.

NASCAR is king in the US and thogh guys like Pastrana and Block are huge draws, they also do lots of other things. Not just rallycross.

I think we should credit Monster and Doran for getting out and doing a few other things too, the Monster link is obviously at work, but that is how you get in that situation in the US you have to be adaptable like Foust, Mirra et al.

It is up to the ERC to make their series attractive and stop these drivers leaving to race over there and deserting the ERC.