View Single Post
Old 5 Aug 2017, 00:44 (Ref:3757499)   #164
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
But if we're gonna play the game of "let's give everyone the same energy", why not just go back to Group C where you're allotted a certain amount of fuel, and it was up to the teams to use it the best way it suited them? IMO, it's just an over-complicated way of doing things.

As to the future of LMP1, there's a push to reduce costs to get more teams in, both privateers and factory teams. Do we favor a total re-write of the rules to reset the whole class, and even "wind back the clock" to how things were a few years ago?

Or do we favor a piece-meal, chip-away deal where we see certain things restricted or brought back in line to reduce costs?

One main aero package is one way, but we already sort of had that back prior to 2011. The opening up the front of the floor between and just aft the front wheels was IMO a slight pandora's box. The bigger one was setting such lofty goals for hybrid systems so quickly.

As I've pointed out, the Peugeot proposals seem to aim for a "turning back of the clock" to some of the stuff they actually got their way on in 2012 (and, of course, didn't race that year or since in LMP1).

Also, might I point out that from 1999-2008, the only changes that happened really were the introduction of diesel and ethanol blended gasoline, and the LMP1/LMP2 aero regs that replaced LMP900 and LMP675. We've had a lot more changes than that the past decade since.

In 2009, we had the rear wing span reduction. 2011, engine downsizing. 2014, the fuel flow/big hybrids/narrow car regs. And that's not accounting for smaller changes made between seasons.

I understand that change is inevitable and is healthy when done right. But I don't think that making major changes every 3 or so years, as I've mentioned several times before, is the way to get things done.

Ideally, factory teams would probably like to get 3-4 years of use out of their cars. I think that's a healthy number of seasons before they have to design a new car. I personally think that pressing though with rapid changes that are pretty sweeping just drives the price tag up.

This goes hand and hand with my point on rules stability. Ironically, for the most part, LMP1 privateer rules are largely frozen until 2022. But a lot of that infrastructure is gone as companies making LMP1 privateer spec cars have gone out of business or moved onto other ventures.

I also don't think that some have committed yet because they're not sure if anyone will pull the trigger, and how things will look on the LMP1 factory team front.

But I'll suggest this: If they feel that they have a chance at winning LM or even some sprint races, I think that you might see quite a few Ginettas, SMP Dallaras and maybe Onroak and Orecas get ordered if they make LMP1s (Oreca and Onroak are part way there since LMP1 and LMP2 share chassis regs).

I'm actually more worried about the engine front there, if I'm honest. Only engine I've heard bandied about is the Mechachrome turbo V6. Yet Gibson and Judd have engines (4.5 liter V8 and 5.5 liter V10) that they're ready and willing to sell, but no one seems to be biting.