View Single Post
Old 14 May 2008, 20:33 (Ref:2202493)   #14
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellmau
I think you are right GB has more motorsport culture than Germany, but I think Germany still has quite a big motorsport culture, probably much bigger than France, Danmark, Sweden e.g.
Hmm, not sure about Danmark and Sweden, but France - has while not much on the Touring car side - several different Sportscar series(FFSA GT, VdeV Proto and GT) and of course Le Mans.
Benelux probably comes closest to Great Britain in terms of motorsport culture with many great series like Belcar (not so much nowadays, though), BTCS, Dutch Supercar(that's in fact two series), Dunlop Endurance, BLR V6, and a number of small ovals.

Quote:
Ah, so it's Schumacher's fault the Procar is not popular enough
Yup. Not directly, but I blame the Schumi-hype for the shape German motorsports is in nowadays. I remember the days when the Tourenwagen-Challenge (now Procar) races were televised live and free to air along V8STAR and highlight packages of a lot of one make series. All that seemed to end somewhere around 2000 or 2002, i.e. when Schumi started to really dominate with Ferrari (and DTM came back).