View Single Post
Old 19 Aug 2015, 17:55 (Ref:3566977)   #68
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo View Post
I can imagine Mr. Arai knows where his engine stands on power, torque, and fuel economy, but can he really be so sure about driveability or energy harvesting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
If Fred and Jense can't tell him that, then they are clearly paying the wrong people way too much money!
To the criticism of the drivers... How would they know at this point in time? I am sure they have run it all on the simulators and test rigs, but frankly they have to run the updated Spa spec power unit this weekend on track before they can give accurate and real world feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I think that Arai san has fallen into the same trap that both Ferrari and, more importantly, Renault went into. He is making comments based on the performance of the PSUs whilst they aere being tested on a bench in the workshop. Their true worth is only realised once they are installed in the car, and they are used in the circuit environment.

There is also a strong possibility that Arai san actually meant that with his comments. Rather than criticising the McLaren chassis and bodywork, he was only trying to say let's see if the PSU goes just as well when it's installed.
Actually that all sums up why I think the quotes in the article was odd. If I was in Arai's shoes, my quotes would have been more like...

"We are bringing a number of power unit changes to Spa and are expecting some real improvements. While simulation and internal testing data looks good, the on track performance is what really matters. Lets see how the entire package works together this weekend."

I really wonder if this all is the first real public crack in the partnership. Especially if the car (complete package) does not have a huge jump forward this weekend. I really hope it does go well for them this weekend.

Richard