Thread: GPL
View Single Post
Old 13 Aug 2017, 20:33 (Ref:3759205)   #59
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
So, just for fun, I installed GPL again using the all in one installer. I've had a couple of online races and I'm already down to within .8 of my best at Watkins Glen. Yes, it looks dated alongside the modern offerings, but with it set to a high res and all of the eye candy that the all in one installer provides, I'm loving it again and it still knocks the socks off of anything I've tried since. Such a challenge. I know there will be plenty of harrumphing from certain quarters, but does anyone else dip their toe in now and again?
I tried it a couple of years ago and it was awesome, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I expected. And then I tried Assetto Corsa....and enjoyed it even less. I guess Sim Racing just doesn't suit me as well now. But whilst I was experimenting to find out if it was still the hobby for me or not, GPL Was certainly still more satisfying than most games.

Assetto Corsa provided me with some very satisfying online races on RaceDepartment. But when the racing wasn't super close and fun, I didn't enjoy it. GPL was able to keep me entertained just hot lapping. Somehow it has the 'magic' that other, technically better, games miss.

So I may not play it anymore (does that count as harrumphing?), but it still stood up against modern games when I did try it. The only thing that got close to it was Assetto Corsa.