View Single Post
Old 14 Mar 2006, 20:54 (Ref:1548936)   #11
Tim 27
Racer

England
March,Cambs
Tim 27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a really interesting bunch of names thrown up here. From memory I can make a few comments on a some listed.
Dave Scott:I witnessed some of Dave's outings in F3, and as Chunterer points out, he was very quick. Swift Caravans were indeed the family business, but he still had nowhere near the budget available to progress.

Bo Martinsson:Again,I agree with Dan Rear here.I saw Bo in 1600's, and against the likes of Moreno,Boesel,Byrne etc,he didn't stand out.

Michel Trolle:In 38 years of racing I have never witnessed so many bad accidents in one weekend. Johnny's accident on the Sunday always gets the column inches, but Enrico Bertaggio split his Dallara in half on the Saturday afternoon at the top of Paddock (a very lucky escape as the car had split across Enrique's hips). Many other smaller incidents certainly spoilt what looked to be a brilliant weekend. Michel had waved at us from the Oreca motorhome as we walked across South Bank early on the Saturday morning,and that night nearly died from pneumonia. I'm not sure he would have made it right to the top, I always put him in the same league as Comas & Grouillard.

Francois Hesnault: Certainly more talented than many 'pay' drivers before or since. Witnessed him talking to a group of spectators and photographers at Zandvoort during a GP weekend, and thought there and then that he was far too nice and polite to make a decent GP driver!

Richard Trott: Richards opposition in 1600 and 2000's certainly wasn't as strong as other years, but I still felt he was one of the quickest English drivers around at the time. I was pleased to see his return to racing in the last couple of years, but angered and annoyed at his recent theft. Not only did the trailer with the Ralt disappear, but several Chevron parts that were to be used by him this season.

Pierre Petit:Agree totally with Steve on this one. I also met Pierre at the last F2 race at Brands in 84. Lovely bloke but was never going to set the world alight.

Tommi Luhtanen: Stunningly fast in FF2000. I was marshalling at Snetterton (Riches) when Tommi's Reynard hit the bank in front of me at enormous pace after the throttle stuck open. Out he jumped, pulled a pack of Marlboro lights from his top pocket, wrapped his overalls round his waist and whilst smoking and sunbathing laughed his head off!! I got the impression he didn't take it serious enough to make it big!