Old 7 Aug 2012, 09:54 (Ref:3117022)   #92
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnettracing View Post
he Combe record was broken by around one second in 2008 despite no major changes and unremarkable weather.
I understand the change there was something related to the bollards, I believe new kerbs cam in which pushed them back and made the chicanes quicker. It didn;t just tumble away, people nibbled at it, but only once something (I beieve that) had changed. Prior to that no one could get near Rivett's 2002 record (which I think was a 1:11.7). A couple of high 11s happened (I think Ed Moore and Tim Reynolds) and I remember a very fast Peter Dempsey pulling out a 12 dead 24 hours into his Combe career at the carnival in 2005.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnettracing View Post
As I said, I did a 48.7s having had my longest ever winter break (Nov-Mar) and the car was doing it's first run after a major chassis revision, on throwaway tyres (they always suit Mallory?). The Mallory lap record is one I really want to get, precisely because it is still held by Spence. It'll be 20 years this year, it'd be pretty special to snatch it.
Nick Hewitt came very close a few times in testing with new tyres etc (a good driver in a very, very well sorted car). In a way I can picture it never being broken. We saw lots of low 48s, and mid 48s were comon, but its a circuit which is quite limited in terms of where speed can be found. One area that will always be a problem now is engines. Spence will have had fresh, expensive and well developed units at his disposal, which modern day club drivers just don't have. Throw in fresh shocks, a brand new chassis, a trick diff, blueprinted gearbox, riffle-drillled driveshafts and god knows what else, coupled with an excellent driver and its a hard thing to beat considering the package. Its the last great lap record (now Donington has changed), it would be great to see it toppled.

This thread is really interesting, well done to Josh and everyone who has contributed.