View Single Post
Old 2 Jul 2004, 12:34 (Ref:1023657)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by KA
The problem with the GTS route comes with making sure that the cars keep some relevance to cars actually for sale- there would need to be very strict controls on eligibility to stop a replay of what happened with GT1- what relevance did cars like the Merc CLK-GTR, or the Toyota GT-One have to anything available for sale.....?
Its a viewpoint thing really, isn't it?

These GT1 cars had little or no relevance to cars available for sale. But so what. I for one would consider myself all the poorer (with the benefit of hindsight) if I hadn't had the chance of seeing these magnificent cars running at Le Mans (and I'd welcome them back tomorrow).

I'm reasonably well versed as to Le Mans history and I appreciate why the 24 Hours was created in the first place, but a lot of time has passed since 1923 and the issue of relevance of the relevance to the cars competing to the car buyer on the street is pretty limited, IMO. The GTS rules already remove the cars competing in that class a long way away from "the man in the street". If you want "relevant" racing, all you really have is GTs - and I can guarantee the crowds at Le Mans would plummet if all we had to watch were 911s.......