View Single Post
Old 10 Sep 2017, 22:22 (Ref:3765932)   #490
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Going back to something that came up earlier, Potrero de los Funes is certainly a track where a "new classic" event can be built up from the ground. I don't see that being the case with a circuit like Termas de Rio Hondo.

Heck, and I know this may bother some people, but if Silverstone were a new track starting from scratch, in its current form, it is NOT a place where I would hold out much hope of being able to build a "new classic" event. The term "sterile" is often used to describe these new-build F1 circuits, and even the old ones remodeled for F1. Well, creating that great new thing is like breathing life into something, and it should go without saying, you're not going to "bring new life forth" in a sterile environment.

So, tracks (outside of France) that should be able to host the WEC, and where I think it is highly possible to build their own, great event are:
1. Phillip Island
2. Suzuka or Autopolis
3. Inje Autopia
4. Brno
5. Sachsenring* (with Ps and GTs split)
6. Monza or Mugello
7. Brands Hatch
8. Jerez* (withOUT the Martin Donnelly Chicane)
9. Algarve
10. Road America, Mid Ohio, or Laguna Seca* (more questionable with some of the hillsides pushed back)
11. Montreal, Mont Tremblant, or Mosport Park* (more questionable now with the paved run-offs)
12. Potrero de los Funes
13. Interlagos

Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, and Sebring already have their own, established endurance events for Prototypes and GTs.

If there was a second tier, where I think it could happen, but it will be (somewhat) more difficult, those venues would probably be:
1. Eastern Creek or Surfers Paradise* (IndyCar full street circuit)
2. Sugo or Aida/Okayama
3. Sepang
4. Buriram (the simple, flowing layout and blind approach to the fearsomely fast Turn 4 make up for a lot)
5. Istanbul
6. Lausitzring* (GP Circuit with Oval Turn 1; something different, but still good)
7. Donington Park
8. Sears Point* (2.520-mile layout)
9. Buenos Aires* (has to use the long loop)
10. Sao Paulo* (IndyCar street circuit)
11. Kyalami

And obviously, I've left off 2017 Season venues for the purposes of these listings.

Last edited by Purist; 10 Sep 2017 at 22:28.