Thread: My Tracks
View Single Post
Old 4 Jun 2003, 10:10 (Ref:620252)   #1568
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to see Lakeside! It's my local track, just 5mins from my house - I made the online petition and posted that aerial picture. It's interesting to see everyone's changes.

The photo doesn't show the elevation of the terrain very well, it's actually quite steep in places, and many of the designs posted about would need major earthworks.

Jordi, interesting idea for the oval bit, but there are two flaws. Firstly the council I believe doesn't own all of that land, and secondly, that last downhill corner is quite steep, and would need massive changes to capacitate it's inclusion. Unfortunantly, Lakeside doesn't really lend itself to a remake, it's pretty much nestled into a small parcel of usable land.

Before it was closed the track did not hold licensing for winged-open wheelers. It's Australia's fastest track, and IMO the best after Bathurst: it's on par with Philip Island as far as the challenge it presents. I don't think it needs any changing, bar widening the track from 9m to 12m and improving the facilities,

Hopefully we see racing there again one day. See www.lakesideraceway.com or savelakeside.org for more.