View Single Post
Old 26 Feb 2006, 12:53 (Ref:1531868)   #28
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I love this thread, so much history being recalled and so much of it from the earliest days of the Championship. krt917 says he never rated Hawthorn as much as Fangio or Moss and it is true he never achieved the same level of success, but Mike could out drive anyone on his day. Mike drove more with his heart than his head and was a true 'racing driver' who just loved racing. Dundrod in 1955 was an epic drive in a D-Type around those twisiting, narrow roads with a solid rear axle (do get the video) and he out drove Fangio at Le Mans that same year.
Steve Wilkinson mentions Pedro Rodriguez at Spa in 1970. Did you know Steve that up until 2004 that was the second fastest Grand Prix ever (current F! champs) behind Peter Gethins 1971 victory at Monza? In fact as far as I can ascertain it is still the fifth fastest ever. Good old BRM.
A personal favourite race was the 1956 British Grand Prix. Hawthorn and Brooks in the BRM's lead away from the start and held of Fangio's Lancia Ferrari for many laps, Fangio passed Brooks but then spun at Becketts (I was there). Moss Challenged in the 250F and Roy Salvadori in Sid Greene's private entry got up to third place before a loose bonnet strap caused a pit stop. Collins/Portago took second ahead of Jean Behra with Jack Fairman in the Connaught fourth and Horace Gould fifth in his private Maserati. Certainly one of the most interesting races I have ever seen.

No matter how fast today's races are they can not generate the level of excitement that good old fashioned overtaking used to do, mind you Schumacher in Spain '96 was pretty gripping.

Keep the memories coming and drag this thread out.