View Single Post
Old 5 Sep 2017, 23:57 (Ref:3764851)   #81
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
before you descend into a full existential crisis it's worth pointing out that theres been drivers over the years whose dads have taken a similar approach to their sons careers but who just didn't have the ability stroll does. most recently max chilton.

norris has had a similar motorsport education but all you really hear about him is "wow" not "yeah but how much has his dad spent?".
Well, like with Chilton, to "fail" to the levels he's reached could mean he had talent above most, or that the needed natural starting talent could really be quite low and that heavy investment can get someone with limited talent to a high level, or that he was another who just happened to have both natural talent and money.

Like, by comparison you could say Chilton has not been successful. But he can reasonably hold his own in one of the top few open wheel series on the planet. I would say anyone starting down that profession could count that as successful. But did he get to that point because he was born with a talent for the sport or because he was given all the resources and training needed from a young age to train in that profession?

In the end, I'm having a hard time believing that the top .01% in the world talent-wise just so happen to almost exclusively come from riches. This makes me wonder how much of it can be taught, and makes me think it is largely a teachable talent.

I know, pretty long train of thought just because stroll had a nice qualifying day....