View Single Post
Old 16 Dec 2006, 03:26 (Ref:1791908)   #2
mjt57
Racer

mjt57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny that I should be reading this post now. Last night at work a mate dragged out some ancient Penthouse "Black label" magazines going back to the mid-late 80s. While the pictures are "interesting" I genuinely found it more interesting to read the articles. True dinks.

Anyway, one of them was Peter MacKay's review of the 1988 motorsport year. In it he made mention of the all alcohol sponsors that were coming on board. In the past, PMK said, they tended to steer clear of motorsport sponsorship for fear of the drink drive tag that the industry would get.

But in 88, Tooheys, Fosters and Swan breweries all got involved in motorsport. These days, it doesn't seem to be an issue, despite the ever increasing pressure on road safety campaigns and the drink-drive message.

It's funny how "values" change. Back then, there was no problem with tobacco sponsorship. But it's now taboo because of health reasons. Breweries sponsoring racing was an issue then. It isn't now.

I wonder how long it will be before alchohol advertising is subjected to the same sanctions.