Thread: My little boy
View Single Post
Old 7 Jan 2013, 13:05 (Ref:3185963)   #6
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Driver View Post
Hi all. A general issue that I need your opinion at. I was involved in sprints and autocross and did tons of track days and karting. I never raced as a pro because of finanace issues. Should I introduce my 5 years old boy in to motorsport?

It is going to be expensive for me and for him when he pays his own bills - unless indeed if he gets lucky and get sponsored. What is your opinion?!!!! help please.
Despite what you read and hear about F1 stars starting when they're that age, I don't think it's a good idea either. 8 is plenty young enough to get behind the wheel of a cadet.

Between now and 8 years old, introduce him to the sport by taking him to watch events, read magazines, watch it on TV etc... If he drums up enough enthusiasm to want to give it a go, then support him... if not, leave it there.

In answer to where MidgetMan thinks all the cadets have gone, I have a theory. I think a large percentage of these cadet racers are actually parents living out their dreams through their kids. The kids themselves are not as interested as they may appear to be. That coupled with the transition to secondary school and a greater academic workload mean that karting is dropped.

I'm fanatical about motor racing but my young son has no interest in it at all. He's interested in other things and I would never try to 'encourage' him into karting. Instead I support him in what he enjoys doing.