Thread: My little boy
View Single Post
Old 16 May 2014, 11:00 (Ref:3406901)   #19
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting comment about bent bambino engines!........There is a similar problem in the honda-cadet-clubman series my lad races in, I dont want to mention the circuit as we love the place, and I dont want to upset the circuit owners, i'll say its in the south-east of england and a very well known historic circuit........my son is in his 3rd year of karting now 8-1/4 years old, we have been racing in the honda-cadet-clubman class since febuary, and I was told before I even entered the series by the circuit owner (of all people!) that the clubman-series is being ruined by parents running big SP engines, then selling them when the clubman buy-back rule is enforced, as they are quite prepared to take the hit on the lost cash, it was rife last year and very bad, but its still happening this year, and the parents doing it are quite open about it.

We are solid mid-fielders and starting to nibble at the podium, and to his credit the lad winning all the races is in his 3rd year of the championship and a very competent driver, so pretty experienced now, but he is winning by utterly huge margins, for me its just a case of rising above idiot parents who are kidding themselves with bent engines, as the parents themselves know once they make the jump to "big-boys" honda cadet in the MSA series that also races at the same circuit they will get decimated and be in the mid-field if they are lucky.....so I take alot of peace of mind from that.....we will continue and keep making progress ourselves, as my lad has a very solid engine & chassis package underneath him, of which I am confident is now set-up quite well, he just needs to refine his racing line, which I can see is still not quite there, but he is improving all the time, hence I spend all the money on track time and not on bent engines.

Overall, I waited 2 years before I entered my lad into his first race, as I didnt want to smash his confidence by racing him too early where I could see that all he would be doing is rolling around the back of the field, so dont be afraid to go testing for a few years and just enjoy yourself first, racing is not everything, its actually very stressful on you and the kid.