View Single Post
Old 4 Aug 2017, 20:17 (Ref:3757452)   #154
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
That's if the ACO don't revert back to air restrictors for LMP1 privateer. The fuel flow stuff to me has been a red herring in both the WEC and F1. It doesn't add anything but cost, and it basically in the end is a speed/performance limiter like the air restrictor.

Big difference is that an air restrictor is a $5-10 piece of metal, fuel flow meter itself is a $2000+ electronic gizmo that requires thousands of dollars more electronics to function right.

It's also "little" things like that which can make a big difference at the end of the season as far as budgets.

I mean, air restrictors worked fine in LMP900 and LMP1 for nearly 20 years, and LMP2s and GT cars still use them.

And of course for the Cadillac engine, when you consider that GM has pumped millions more into their DPI program than anyone else, what else did we expect. I know that all stock block engines are modified for racing, but GM almost built an entirely new engine almost from scratch using LS block castings.

If someone wants to do that, why shouldn't they also be looking at engine supply for LMP1 if there's a demand?