View Single Post
Old 18 Jul 2017, 01:30 (Ref:3752294)   #231
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Excellent point, and a potential worry for all open wheelers - what happens if F1 runs a canopy? Do all those below follow? Can't be seen to be "unsafe"
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
I think this is part of motorsports image problem, The supporters are no longer prepared to take the risk of death and motorsport are doing things to reduce it

A good thing, however it reduces the purity and pushes us to make changes for safety purposes which result more in purpose built race cars and less in production based vehicles. while increasing costs
Yep, I would imagine that if F1 does go to canopies, other open-wheeler categories will need to follow. No doubt some will say that lower speeds for their category reduces risks but ultimately, I think that they're all going to have to fall in line.

I imagine that open wheel cars are going to look more along the lines of current FE cars with added canopies as they move to cover off attenuation of various risks.

You're right Pecky that we've seen it in touring cars - sit a current VASC car next to a Group C or even some Group A cars and the current car is much more advanced in bar work etc - but then it should be given the march of time.

I suspect that the days of pure open wheel cars as we know them are limited - not saying that it'll all be over tomorrow but I can see there being less visual differences between open wheel and LMP1 type cars in the years ahead.