View Single Post
Old 2 Aug 2002, 15:21 (Ref:348769)   #24
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Slowcoach
Being a novice on the racing scene, but learning all the time, it never ceases to amaze me how some things can make such big differences, tyres being a good example,
Brian was racing when I was in primary school, so with this being my 3rd proper season I'd say I'm in the same boat as you..

As you say though you learn all the time, and I'm always reading, writing, week in and week out. I thought I was odd (well I am!), but then Nigel Garrett said on Sunday that no-one at the front treats it as a weekend sport, and I think he's dead right. There's new things on those cars all the time and it's reflected in the times.

That's why I can't see me doing a full season next year. I've just kicked off a startup, and time is precious so I can't spend all week on it as well. We all do it for different reasons, but if I'm going to commit to do something competitive, I need to throw everything I have at it and do it to the best of my ability. If I can't do that and I don't achieve what I think I should be achieving, it will only wind me up.

Anyway, while I would deferentially say that I still don't know what I don't know when it comes to car set-up, I do firmly believe that tyres and keeping them on the ground working gives you the biggest lap time improvements. That philosophy is shown by the fact that simple power to weight figures on my car aren't anywhere near as flattering as some have suggested..

Mind you I've also found out that the biggest trick of all is having the thing bolted together properly at the start..

Cheers

Stacy