View Single Post
Old 5 Aug 2002, 12:09 (Ref:350371)   #25
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Experience does count for so much - I heard that our CT champion last year has been racing his make of car since the mid 60's and his current car for 19 years! Think also how well he must know all the circuits.

My trouble is that I went from just aiming to not qualify and finish last in my first race to suddenly thinking I could be regular top six (I was 4th in that first race-combination of breakdowns and accidents)and suddenly you have the bug bigtime, I got aspirations above my station! Then, as you point out, it dawns on you that the majority of the front runners are not only very good drivers, been at it for many years(even decades), but are totally serious/dedicated and often(but not always) fortunate to have alot of 'resources'(time + money) - that brings me back to reality - racing for fun and useless when it comes to doing things under the bonnet.

This has prompted an idea - could the CTCRC run a handicap race across all series for drivers who have NEVER won a race - that would be good for an end of season meeting and give the opportunity to someone who might never otherwise get to wear the victors laurels.....sorry I digressed.

My tips would have to be (both given to me by a good friend in the build up to my first race) 1- Rather than spend a fortune on something mechanical to gain a tenth of a second per lap - take a test day or some instruction at that circuit, could be worth whole seconds.....and 2- Always try and avoid the first corner chaos which so often rears it's ugly head!
ps and your 'The Flyer's' editor - where do you find the time?!