View Single Post
Old 7 Apr 2008, 23:49 (Ref:2172803)   #14
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Why are the 917 and 956/962 legendary? Is it only LeMans, or is it LeMans and every other race that was on the calendar?

What is the perception of the 935? It won LeMans also in 1979, and laid waste to the other races it ran in.

I personally don't have a doubt that the RS Spyder has changed the face of P2. It has proven to be an extraordinary vehicle. It has now won in private hands. In ALMS it has consistantly beaten Audi, which nobody has been able to do prior.

Question also, is the Audi R8 viewed in the same light as the 917 and 956/962? If not, why not? I am actually getting the feeling that the coupe bodywork, which the older Porsche's had, helps set them apart/makes them 'special.' Is that the case?

I am not at all arguing about the Porsches, I agree, they are legendary cars. The Ferrari 512 is legendary too, but far less successful. The 312 series Ferraris were very successful, but for the most part faded into history (their giving LeMans '72 to Matra, and then losing in '73 didn't help). The Matras won LeMans three years in a row, but don't have much 'legendary' status. They were the same overdogs that the 917 was, certainly in 73 and 74.

Again, no argument from me, just trying to understand the 'whys.' I think the coupe bodywork really has some some effect in the equation.

robert.