View Single Post
Old 21 Oct 2009, 03:02 (Ref:2565926)   #102
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
You gotta be blowing smoke again, or you'll have to show me evidence to the contrary.

"The total package to the irl was $11 million Aus$ with most everything, including travel paid for."

Converted at Sept. '08, that's $9.43 M U.S.D. Plus shipping included?

You'd have to be a doorknob to pass on that deal. Then you package it with Motegi or Brazil, and pocket 25% of the shipping cost. There's no way you don't do that deal. It couldn't have been that sweet.

I just thought on that some more, that has to be impossible. It's less cost for a team to run an overseas race: reduced crew, no motorhome/ hospitality, less domestic transporter travel, no IRL out of pocket to run the Indy Lites race at a loss, etc.

The sanctioning fee paid by Long Beach was REPORTED to be $500,000. You could stuff everybody's sidepods with cash for $9.43M and laugh all the way to the next race.

Alan Jones said an A1 GP sanctioning fee is in the $3M AUS range. Mr.T got like $1.8M in advance for Surfers, I will guess that this was half of the pie. The Oz organizers wouldn't have even flown over to talk to the IRL (and they did) if there was that much of a difference to contemplate.
Oh I never blow smoke.

That's right it was a good deal and always was a good deal with is why Champcar/CART always looked forward to it. It was good for everyone. There was a reason why they ran there from 1991 to 2007.

So you say the irl had to be doorknobs to pass on it? Well two words: "tony george".

The man has a history of catastrophic and inane dealings so why would this be any different?