View Single Post
Old 18 Jul 2013, 15:17 (Ref:3279133)   #97
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Happy Track Fan View Post
Well, that says as much about society these days as anything!! Funny how in the 60's and 70's, back in the good ole days before Blackberries, PC's and GPS systems, about 200,000 people from Toronto and Southern Ontario and the Eastern U.S. found their way up there for a Can-Am race.

People are just plain lazy. If it all isn't dropped in their laps and handed to them, they don't want anything to do with it.

I think you might be surprised however, how many people from Toronto suddenly have to figure out where Mosport is when the NASCAR Trucks are there on Labour Day weekend.

One other thing. I kept hearing about how "full" all the grandstands were at Toronto this past weekend. I saw 5 grandstands, and 3 of them were half empty when you looked from overhead shots. Don't let the spin doctors fool you. That race continues to have difficulty drawing and has nowhere near the drawing power it once did.
Yeah, those crowds back in the Can-Am and Canadian GP days were completely nuts.

Good point re the NASCAR trucks... it will be interesting to see what the attendance is like. Although that will attract more of the camp-at-the-track crowd than would go to the Indy.

The Indy attendance was decent both race days (I was there about 12 hours each of Fri/Sat/Sun). The Saturday crowds were much bigger than usual, with the race drawing people in. The main grandstands were not packed with every seat full but they were quite busy. Sunday was busier, again not 100% packed out but quite full. It seems to me that the combined attendance from both days was more than in 2012 or 2011 but it is a bit hard to tell since the number and configuration of grandstands has changed.

Last edited by rwintle; 18 Jul 2013 at 15:19. Reason: more guff to add