View Single Post
Old 12 Mar 2017, 01:48 (Ref:3718099)   #157
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
as a question, how much would sandbagging hinder data collection? does that have a knock on effect to development/upgrades over the course of the upcoming season?

whatever the answer i havent been this excited about a new season for a while now.
i think sandbagging is fine for the team and the car. Just load it up with fuel and don't turn the engine right up. If anything the tyres, aero and chassis will be pushed more to the limit, but not the engine (but a dyno should have already proven the engine).

There are a couple of issues though. For one the driver won't be able to get a true feel for the car and I think we're seeing that in Lewis' comments. He seems very unsure. The other is obviously seeing how the car is on the limit (tyres etc), however this is only for ultimate lap time (qualy) - as long as the race pace is there it may not matter.

I haven't rechecked, but apparently this is the third year in a row that Ferrari has been fastest in winter testing (however I do feel that this year is a little different, but I'm only expecting them to be equal at best)