Thread: 10Ths Icon Getting to know you!
View Single Post
Old 29 Jul 2006, 09:45 (Ref:1667033)   #26
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was born in 1990, so I'm still young, with hopes and dreams...

I've grown up with a mother that was an ex communications officer at race meetings, and a father who was a fire marshal at almost any opportunity he could get. I loved the sounds and the smells from the races since I started chanting for Larry Perkins in 1992.

Every year our family used to pile into the car and head up to Bathurst every year for the 1000km race up there. Man I used to love going up there and exploring around, getting lost (several times) and watching the race from inside the caravan and outside, usually on Pit Striaght or Murray's Corner. And I always used to love cheering the drivers at the end of the race when they drove past us on their way back to podium.

Apart from that, I used to make regular visits to Oran Park, Eastern Creek, and Amaroo Park before it was closed.

It's only in recent years that my eyes have opened to all the motorsports of the world. I spend most of my time embursed in some racing site, or playing racing games, or watching racing. My favourite teams or drivers in world motorsport would be Mark Webber in F1, McLaren in F1, Casey Stoner and Valentino Rossi in MotoGP, the Australian A1GP Team, Paul Tracy in CARTs, Team Newman Haas in CARTs, Chris Atkinson and Subaru in WRC, Steven Richards and Perkins Motorsport in V8 Supercars.

Also recently I've started collecting model cars. I started about 2 years ago, and I have about 17 V8 Supercars. My main size is 1/43, though I have a few 1/18s and 1/64s. I have a lot of DVDs about various teams, and about 15 books from various years of the Bathurst 1000.

I always like to hear about the special events of Motorsport like Le Mans, Indy 500 and Spa 24h. On the topic of 24 hour races I recently completed a 24 hour race around the old Nurburgring at GT4 - without pausing or stopping or skipping any part. Thanks to my friend lol.

Nowadays I'm content to be a real armchair enthusiast. My age retricts me from going wherever I want whenever I want, so I usually manage to go to one V8 Supercar event every year. When I'm older I plan to go to every V8 round in Australia and New Zealand, travel to Belgium to watch the F1's at Spa, then to France to watch the Le Mans 24 hours, and to America for the Indy 500. Until then I enjoy the late nights watching Alonso and Schuey fighting for positions at various GPs. I always watch the V8s, manage to watch highlights of WRC on Channel 10, and usually watch the MotoGP. Needless to say even if I don't watch it I look up the results as soon as I can.

I have a few rare pieces of memorabilia. I have a mirror of the Ingall/Murphy car in the 1997 Super Tourer Bathurst 1000 (my dad [inched it when they crashed), a signed Perkins poster, and a series of 8 signed photographs of Peter Brock (well they're my mums but I'll get them one day!).

Um, I think that pretty much covers it for me. Be sure to look out for me if you watch the telecast of the V8 Supercars in future years, I'm gonna be commentating them.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen