View Single Post
Old 18 Jun 2008, 13:41 (Ref:2231892)   #11
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryobeirne
Specfab have confirmed they built 2 cars and 1 survives. it does not look like we are any closer to the bermani ex works cars.
who/what was M.I.L.????
MIL Motorsport ran the BTCC Supra programme- I don't know how much you know about the BTCC Supra Turbo project, I seem to recall it being discussed in another thread a while back, but as a quick recap (Apologies if you already know this bit)

2 car team, (possibly with plans for a third?), backed by Shell and Toyota GB. Drivers were initially Chris Hodgetts and Vic Lee (Lee's car had additional backing from Mulcahy & Hirst- think they were a construction company).

Hodgetts jumped ship mid to late season and returned to his former team Brooklyn Motorsport with an RS500, and was replaced by Mark Hales and Ian Flux. A Corolla also appeared occasionally for John Lllewellyn.

Curiously, one of the Supras also had an outing as a rally car for Toyota GB-backed driver Graham Middleton on the Manx International, around Aug/Sept '88, replacing his regular Corolla

I won't swear to this but I think MIL was either a new outfit, or a restructuring and renaming of an existing one- I don't recall them in the BTCC either before or after 1988, but I'd have to wade through some 1988 Autosports to be sure.

The other name I recall being associated with the project is regular Hodgetts team-mate/co-driver Alex Moss- the MIL Supra was on the entry list for the Donington ETCC round in 88 for Moss and South African ex-F2 and BTCC driver Rad Dougall, but didn't show up
http://www.racingsportscars.com/cove...988-04-17e.jpg
...and Moss shared the MIL Corolla with Llewellyn at the TT.