Thread: IMSA: USCR 2018
View Single Post
Old 22 Aug 2017, 17:36 (Ref:3760985)   #706
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Allan McNish and Tom Kristensen are/were also platinum graded drivers, but they got out of competitive racing when they felt they weren't too far away from not getting the job done anymore. Not that they had much left to prove anyways.

I know that Sharp being the team's owner will be a defense for some, and if he's doing it for fun (the driving part), more power to him. But he's way past his prime. It's just the way it is.

I saw Darrell Waltrip in NASCAR milk being there, to the point where he was DNQ'ing races and struggling. Not saying that Scott is to that point, but he's not the strongest link on the team by far. As a fan of both cars and drivers, I'd rather see a driver retire on top and have more time to do what they want to do outside of the car than milk it because they think that's what their fans want.
I think fielding a race team is sharp's way of giving himself the time to do what he wants to do (inside) the car. If esm didn't exist, would Scott Sharp have a ride right now?

And at times, he's pretty much right there on pace. A tenth or two off, but that's good enough to hand it over to the other driver to bring it home on the podium hopefully. If your other team car is competing for wins, just look at it as a vettel/Raikkonen situation, lol.