Thread: Tony in trouble
View Single Post
Old 10 Aug 2014, 22:03 (Ref:3443315)   #44
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
hmmm. My gut feeling is that this WILL result in lawsuits, and be dragged around the courts for years to come, whether some people look at the drivers as some kind of weird modern-day gladiators or not.

My other gut feeling is that Kevin Ward was incredibly stupid. Unfortunately he paid for that with his life, and I cannot begin to imagine what his family must be going through. Deliberate or not by Tony Stewart, he is going to have this baggage to deal with for the rest of his life.

It's a terrible terrible day for motorsport.
No question there will be lawsuits. There are probably already 500 "Slip N' Fall" lawyers queued up for their chance at taking the case, but also on the other side paid expert witnesses who will reconstruct the accident to minimize blame on Stewart are probably warming up in the bullpen right now. There are 2 facts, one is that the deceased driver ran out onto the track surface on a race track and second is that Stewart hit and killed that person. There is a lot of gray area in between in regards to motivations, intent, ability to avoid the accident, ability to see the potential accident, etc.

Most of these types of incidents in the USA will never go to civil litigation. There will be a settlement.

I think it's a shameful day for motorsport. This sort of buffoonery rodeo clown type incident should not have happened and I think a lot of it goes back to this sort of behavior being approved and even encouraged by those running the show. And Nascar is one of the worst offenders.