View Single Post
Old 29 Sep 2013, 09:50 (Ref:3310647)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its an interesting point.

No doubt talent is different now. Older drivers heel and toed, changed gear manually, no power steering, hard cars to drive.

Modern cars are more aero conscious and harder to design and get to the limit of maybe.

But I am older and feel that no car was harder to drive than the mid 80's turbo cars, they had so much more to think about.

Clark era cars were not hard to drive, but the tracks certainly were very very much harder to drive on and far more dangerous, so you had to have a different skill set and guys like Clark were able to drive well within themselves and still win, a very unique skill.

I think the 30's and the silver arrows was a special era as was early 50's with big cars, narrow tyres and big power.

Fitness is a definite, but not as much fun as talent and ability, and though modern guys would win in anything still, I simply don't find it as exciting.